Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Welcome to the Club Cyprus!

I mean of course the club of countries bailed out by the EU. I made the mistake of listening to the news Saturday evening...maybe I shouldn't have because I almost got a heart attack. The first news that they said was that over Friday night Cyprus, the EU and the other participant agreed on a bail out package for Cyprus. At first of course every naive thinks: Hey, after 8 months you managed to agree, congrats! (Of course i do not agree with bail out packages on a personal level, but you have to have a positive attitude to things. So if a group of politicians can agree on more then on what to have for lunch during their meeting its a step forward for them...)
And then comes the cold shower, of on what terms? And the other little comments. I had lots of problems with what they said on TV, so lets go in order.
The first thing that made me want to kill somebody was the levy that they planned to take away from the people`s savings... And of course later it turned out its not a plan, or something they will implant, they simply solved the problem by closing down all accounts. Just before people could wake up and take their money out from the bank. No, No, Don't  you get any ideas.... So imagine that in these hard days especially, you scrape and you collect something. It does not have to be a lot, it can be even the smallest amount. So you collect your little savings for you know, small people`s reasons, like lets say you want to send your kids to college, or you thinking about the unlivable pensions now days, or you thinking you could loose your job and until you get an other you could live off from this, or an illness can come in the family and you need to cover bills, or you are just thinking about your next electricity bill...or you could be thinking of some dreams, like renewing something in your house, or going for vacations next year, or getting married...It could be almost anything. Because most of the people can not say, that my house is paid for, my car is paid for, all my kids are already out of college and supporting themselves, I can afford two vacations every year, and I am debt free so I just have my saving because I there is nothing better I can do with my money. Well, in the world where I live this last one is not the common case. So we have lots of normal people, with their normal problems and dreams and Saturday morning they wake up for the fact that the money what they earned and saved is not theirs to do so as they please. That`s something to wake up for.....Nice....Correct me if I am wrong, but lets assume that I am still talking about an average worker who already taxes after this money, once when you earn it, then again when you make a profit on it and now an extra "tax" just because the government says so. And on top of it they don`t even give you a choice about it, they simply close everything down. What if lets say I have my savings in a long term investment, which if it is broken then I do not get the profit I am suppose to...Just wondering, who is going to repay that? Or even if I don`t have it in a long term investment, I just don`t want to touch that money and I would say ok I pay, because I don`t have a choice, but I don`t want to pay it from my savings, I have enough money at home under my bed, then again I do not have a choice about it, right? Or lets say, that I am a fan of organizing and in the family we have  six different savings account, one for college fund for the kids, one for next years vacation, one for the renewing of the kitchen, one in case something happens and one-one for the kids, in case they want to get married or start their lives, then they get to tax them all? Because then this does not come out for the percentage they are throwing around, even if all of these accounts do not hold 100.000..... These were my first thoughts, but before I could get a heart attack from this the reporter was going on....
And then the second thing he said pissed me off, that Cyprus is in this situation because of Greece. Seriously? You people got nothing better then to blame everything on Greece? Greece and Greek people have enough problems without everybody always pointing the finger at them!! Lets revise, just because I am a reasonable person. So Cyprus has 1,099,341 and Greece has 10,815,197 people. Cyprus suppose to have a growing, blooming economy (or maybe not?!), I`m sure I don't have to say whats the situation in Greece ( but as a reminder not a blooming economy, not even close). Cyprus`s GDP (current): $24.69 Billion US Dollars, Greece`s GDP (current): $298.73 Billion US Dollars (data from the World Bank). So I have two questions: 1. If Cyprus had so much money that they could have invested enough to potentially bankrupt them then it should not be a problem, since they have so much money, no? 2. Or if they didn't have so much money to invest then this could not have driven them to bankruptcy, right? Or do I see this in the wrong way? If I do, I would love for somebody to try to explain how is it, that a country that is exactly one tenth of Greece could have saved Greece first and then go bankrupt because of it?
And then came the third little shower, which was nothing compare to the first two. So as now days its normal, they call up somebody who lives in Cyprus. So let me quote some from the conversation ( not word by word):
Reporter: How do you feel about the decision? 
Lady: Of course I am not happy, and basically very angry.
Reporter: Didn`t you think that you have to take part in repaying the debt? Take responsibility?
Lady: Of course I did, but not like this.
And there it is, the second question line of the reporter was what triggered me. I`m sorry, did she spend it this money? Did she make this debt? Its the same attitude in Greece, Spain, everywhere. It doesn't matter who made the debt (politicians), we were not even born yet or we were too young to even have a chance at saying don't spend that money, but we got to pay it back. You are kidding, right? We have no saying in how they spend the money, or even on the part of how they try to collect it back from the people, we just have to pay for it. Because they say so!
And then I am asking again, why people are not on the streets with torches and pitchforks? Why? How long can they get away with stuff like this?
And lets go back to the topic. Since then some new thing happened, but I was trying to wait before I post, maybe get some more info...
So since then president Nicos Anastasiades said on Sunday that did not want this, and he understands the anger and rage of people. Excuse me, he was not present at the negotiations? If he did not want this, why did he agree to it? Or was he playing on his phone when they were discussing this point of the deal? And he said he will try to change it. Change it to what? 9,9 % to all? Because he already agreed, and now its only the matter of passing it throw the parliament, no problem! If he wanted changes maybe he should have done it at the table before ti was a done deal, not after feeding people bullshit.
And then what I read in the newspaper, the EU did not expect this reaction from the people. Why? What did they expect? That people will be like, yes here is my money take it. Take it all! No problem!
And of course there is also the method, closing down first the account, and now they are not opening the banks. Hmmm.....that seems to be the solution.... I think they should keep them closed forever, to ensure people never take any money out from the banks so they don't go bankrupt.
And then there is the promise of this will not happen anywhere else... What I saw in the last years, is experimenting. They are experimenting how far they can push the people in one country, if they take it then they do it in other countries too... 
I wish that all the people of the world, we would have the sense and the courage to do something about this, so that this can not happen. We suppose to live in democracies, we suppose to have rights and freedom, but some of us woke up in a dictatorship where politicians can decide about our money without our permission....I wonder what would happen if tomorrow everybody all over the world would decide to take their money out of all the banks? Maybe that would change their attitude...maybe...

No comments:

Post a Comment