Search This Blog

Saturday, March 23, 2013

What kids watch nowdays?

When I was a kid of course we didn't have lots of TV channels, and even less programs dedicated to children. The ones we did have were tho truly for us. I grow up watching classic Disney cartoons, like Cinderella, or Tom and Jerry, the Flintstones, Winni the Pooh, etc. I grow up waiting every weekend, when in the morning they had cartoons for us kids on TV and every Sunday afternoon by 16:00 I was ready with homework and chores so I can watch the Disney show. They always tolled me to stay a kid as long as I can, because once I grow up there is no going back.
In my time there were no cartoons explaining to you about how money works, or teach to save your pocket-money, or explaining about violence. No, we were just watching Coyote and the Road Runner and laughing everytime the Coyote missed the Road Runner, we didn't care how he got the stuff out in the middle of nowhere or if it was correct to try to blow the Road Runner up. And we didn't think that the Coyote was a terrorist, as a kid I never even heard that word. Somehow in my generation and probably also before there was no issue that a cartoon is too violent, because we understood that is a cartoon, obviously none of us would go and try to shoot each other because we saw it on a cartoon, or try to fly with balloons like Winni the Pooh for some honey.
I had responsibilities as a kid, do your homework, do your chores, help out, etc, but when I got to play it was for fun. To watch a cartoon in my times was about taking a break and not about watching something like this:
I treasured my cartoon watching Sunday afternoons as a kid, I don't think kids who watch things like this treasure the minutes they spend watching this.
This animation was aired on a German national TV station for kids about Hungary. I couldn't find it in English, so I am gonna tell you what it is about (just in case you don't speak German). It talks about how Hungarian politicians don`t respect EU laws and that reporters cannot work freely, that the last time in Hungary they resoled the rights to frequencies for radios, some of the radio stations who didn't approve of the governments ways didn't win the frequencies they wanted, that in Hungary the government wants the people only to hear good news from the TV stations and the newspapers, that the government cut the rights and possibilities of the constitutional court and because of all this Hungary might get punished by the EU.
Of course I don't agree on any level with the things that has been going on in Hungary the last years. I don`t agree about cutting the wings of the constitutional court, because a government should have somebody who can control them, or at least try. Of course I don`t agree with prime minister Orban practicly making sure that even if he doesn't win the next elections still his people will be in decision making positions in almost every office that matters. Of course I didn`t agree when he made people to give up their private retirement funds. Of course I was astonished at how calmly he can lie during the last snowstorm in Hungary ( in case you haven't heard: Hungary had a snowstorm combined with a very strong wind last weekend, and march 15. being a national holiday, everybody was busy preparing to celebrate this rather then to prevent almost 6000 cars being stuck on highways. During this time, it is customary in Hungary to give out medals to people who did something great, while the celebrated few were having a nice a dinner part of the country was already stuck on high ways, others were cut off from electricity, etc. And Mr. Orban decided to calm the nation by posting that enjoy your dinner, since there is not one person in Hungary who is hungry or cold, because everybody have been rescued out. Of course this was not true and even a day after this post people were still not helped, but what else happened in that day would worth a post on its own.). So to sum it up, I don`t agree with what has been going on, but I don't think for a second that a child should be concerned about this.So my problem with this video is not that it is not true, of course I would like to know who made Germany the judge of that? When I was young, my great-grandmother used to tell me this: "Don't tell the neighbor that his porch is dirty, until yours in not immaculate and even then you don't have to live at the neighbor! " So is Germany`s porch immaculate? I don`t think so...
But outside of this, by biggest problem is with this video is about what we let our kids to watch?! Nowdays there are soooo many "new" ideas about raising a kid. There are actually parents who don`t let their kids watch Tom and Jerry, because they say its too violent (seriously!!! I would say something nice for these people, but...). But its OK to watch animations about money, and how the EU works, and what a country does wrong....No its not! Most of us would never deal with anything that has to do politics, if we could. If it didn't affect out lives, who would be the masochist to listen them lie everyday? Nobody, but most of don`t have a choice, because we need to know what new taxes are coming, whats will be the next law that will make out lives more complicated, how much are they going to cut down from my salary next month. We, adults need to watch the news, and be informed about these things, not our kids. Yes, kids need to learn about the world. But why don't we teach them about the beauty of a snowy mountain, about the wonders of the sea, why don't we teach them useful things like building a tent ( if we go on like this, might need this knowledge one day, but by then nobody will care about what Germany thinks Hungary does wrong) or show them how fun is it to lie on a meadow and count butterflies, show them how fun is it to climb a tree, ride a bike, or watch the clouds and try to figure out what they are shaped like. These are things our children should learn, they can learn about the rest later, if they want to. If they don't? It wont be a tragedy, but if we take away their innocence it will be.

Please comment:)

No comments:

Post a Comment